Building new LinuxMCE core/hybrid

GMC AVC M1

I already wrote about building a new LinuxMCE core/hybrid. But it was just plans. Now all parts (except new motherboard) are bought. Moreover yesterday I tried to assemble and test them. But without luck. The PC started: funs whirled and optical drive initialized. But there was not video signal. Even keyboard leads were not blinking. I connected speaker to understand what was the problem. But it kept silence. I decided to check how processor was installed. I removed cooler and when I tried to open socket it cracked. I assembled at least 5 – 7 PCs before but such situation happened the first time.

Well maybe I press to strongly when I installed cooler. But I suspect that the material of the socket was very weak. The motherboard – ASROCK ALIVENF7G-FULLHD R3.0 is not expensive. It’s just €42. So, the material is also not so good. I chose it because it has HDM_SPDIF header which allows to pass audio though HDMI out of external video card and offers possibility to get audio on the embedded DVI. But unfortunately the quality of that board very bad. I replaced it by Asus M3N78-EM AM2 GF8300 mATX. It should be delivered on Monday only. So, will idle during weekend.

Here is a final configuration (I really hope) of my LinuxMCE core/hybrid:

• MB: Asus M3N78-EM AM2 GF8300 mATX
  • Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
  • Cooler: Zalman CNPS8000 Ultra Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler
  • RAM: SUPERTALENT DDR2 800MHz 2GB
  • HDD: SATA SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.10 250GB
  • Video: integrated GeForce 8300
  • DVB card: Technotrend Budget S-1102
  • Optical drive: NEC RW-DVD
  • Case: GMC AVC M1 with iMON remote control and VFD display

Related Posts:

• Fashion HTPC case
  • Howto Build Plutohome Orbiter for Nokia770/N800/N810
  • LinuxMCE progress in 2010
  • Using Nokia770/N800 as a Plutohome Orbiter
  • Fiire announced its new products
  • Plutohome MD: problems, problems …

• 8 comments:

1. stephthegeek, 6. December 2008, 3:56

Wow, I was just looking at that mobo for building my first linuxmce machine later this month…. eagerly awaiting results!

• Michael Stepanov, 10. December 2008, 19:30

The first results are not so optimistic 🙂 The monitor loses signal right after AMD64 DVD installation starts. Will try i386 and post results here.

• Niklas, 13. December 2008, 1:42

Please. If you have had success in getting LinuxMCE 7.10 rc2 up and running. Please let me know and how you did it. Greatest appreciation in advance.

• Michael Stepanov, 16. December 2008, 13:27

Have a look that wiki page. I put there all problems and solutions which I found during installation LinuxMCE 0710 to the Asus M3N78-EM. Actually I changed AMD64 distro to i386, SATA mode in the BIOS and installed the latest nVidia drivers before starting of AVWizard. Also I ahve to check if integrated NIC was recognized correctly.

Unfortunately I don’t have Internet connection in my flat yet. So, I cannot finish installation because some packages such VDR, LIRC etc should be installed from the repo. But at least installation is ok for that mobo.

• Michael Stepanov, 18. December 2008, 16:33

The installation passed correctly. I solved all problems with that motherboard except integrated NIC. It works from the box under 8.10 but doesn’t work under 7.10. I didn’t find a way to solve that yet. Possible workaround is upgrade the kernel. Not sure that it’s what I’d like to do 🙂

• toddwbucy, 19. March 2009, 19:41

you mentioned that you lost video signal after install with the 64bit linuxmce. I had the same prob the solution that I found was to reboot and choose the recovery boot in the grub menu. once booted edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to reflect 16 bit video instead of 24 bit. reboot. you should then seen the green setupscreen. once the system has updated you will be able to switch back to 24 bit video. not sure why this works but it does. seems to me that the nvidia driver on the iso maybe broke at 24 bit and only fixes itself once the core has been updated.

• Michael Stepanov, 24. March 2009, 11:42

Nice recommendations, toddwbucy! But I decided do not use 64bit LMCE. As I understand there is no big advantage to use it. So, I run 32bit 🙂

• toddwbucy, 9. April 2009, 22:23

to my knowlege the only advantage of 64bit systems over 32 bit is the ability to use more then 3 gigs or ram.
    also forgot 2 mention that the above workaround only works if you are using vga. it does not work with dvi/hdmi

todd