Fashion media center Boxee: first impression

boxee_logo

Finally I got invitation to test the first “social” media center Boxee. Installation under Kubuntu 8.04 was pretty simple. I just added Boxee repository and install it using apt-get. After running the Boxee it automatically found media content in the standard Linux directories – Pictures, Videos and Music. It tried to guess the names of movies by their filenames and get information from IMDB. For those video files which weren’t be recognized cover were created using some frame from movies themselves.

The user interface looks pretty nice. It’s intuitive and allows to easily navigate by media files, control playback movies and music. It’s easy to specify new media source. Doesn’t matter where it is – on local PC or on some network share. Moreover, using Boxee it possible to listen Internet radio, which becomes very popular this time.

However the most interesting and original feature of Boxee is its social component. It allows to people find friends and share between them info about what they watch or listen (be careful with adult content ;)). Additionally they can rate or recommend movie or song. The very basic social feature is offered by Facebook add-in for Windows Media Center. But, for sure, Boxee is much better.

I heard an opinion about competition between Boxee and MythTV. Maybe in the future but currently Boxee don’t support PVR functionality at all. Taking into account that XBMC also misses LiveTV I can conjecture that Boxee won’t have it in the future. In any case, Boxee is good media center software integrated with social service. Will see its progress.

P. S. I can send the invitation somebody who’d like to play with Boxee. Just leave a comment here.

Related Posts:

• Samsung demonstrates its Social TV and awesome remote
  • MyTVPal.com – North America’s first 1080P High Definition IPTV Service
  • Panasonic updated its Social TV app
  • The Digital Entertainment Network Solution
  • BabelTV is a new word in the home entertainment
  • New version of Boxee includes a Movie Library

• 15 comments:

1. Brian, 22. August 2008, 2:01

I’d love an invite!

• tibor, 22. August 2008, 21:04

Nice review. I would like an invite.

• Andreas, 22. August 2008, 23:25

XBMC developers are currently working on PVR, EPG, and Live TV functionality 😉

• dido89, 25. August 2008, 12:18

Me too!!! Thanks!

• Michael Stepanov, 25. August 2008, 16:12

Hi Andreas, good news about PVR functionality in XBMC! Do developers create something new or just try to integrate VDR or MythTV?

• Michael Stepanov, 25. August 2008, 16:13

Sent invitation to Brian, tibor and dido89.

• michael, 9. October 2008, 20:55

i also would love an invite.
    Hope I can test it soon.

• Ozan Caglargil, 10. October 2008, 19:12

Hi Michael,
    Can you send me an invite please?
    Thanks..

• Sukumar, 19. November 2008, 20:33

Hi Michael – Could you send me an invite (if you still have one left?)
    Thanks…

• Mike Enriquez, 12. December 2008, 20:02

Its sad to hear that Boxee doesn’t support PVR yet. It might be a deal breaker for me when deciding between Boxee and LinuxMCE.

I’d like to try it out if you have any invites left. Thanks

• Michael Stepanov, 16. December 2008, 16:50

Sent invitations for all who requested them.
    2Mike Enriquez: the same for me 🙂 But I’m also interested to have automation, security and telephony. BTW Boxee can be used as VDR or MythTV frontend. Also developers are working to implement PVR functionality.

• forex affiliates, 25. December 2011, 18:02

I’ll right away grasp your RSS feed as I can’t in finding your e-mail subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please let me realize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

• Taneka Dumdei, 26. December 2011, 0:33

Thank you for another informative web site. Where else could I get that kind of information written in such a perfect way? I’ve a project that I am just now working on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

• finance, 26. December 2011, 1:26

Magnificent goods from you, man. 16sanskar.com » Blog Archive » sex – kamasutra an ancient literature and art of life(moksha)in Indian ancient/classical writtings. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too fantastic. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous 16sanskar.com » Blog Archive » sex – kamasutra an ancient literature and art of life(moksha)in Indian ancient/classical writtings. informations.

• Furniture Manufacturer, 27. December 2011, 21:09

301 Moved Permanently This web site can be a stroll-through for the entire info you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you’ll definitely uncover it. Regards, Furniture Manufacturer

• No comments yet.