Original energy consumption monitor

Z-Wave Smart Utility Metering Application

Danish company Modstroem uses non-standard approach to get information about energy consumption in the its Z-Wave-based monitoring system. Instead of sensor the system includes digital camera which transmits picture from the meter to the Z-Wave Internet gateway. That gateway allows no only see the results of measurements but control all Z-Wave stuff in the home remotely.

Not sure that it’s good idea to use camera to grab data from the meter. In my opinion using the sensor makes measurement more accurate and independent from external actions such lighting, dust etc. It seems for me like a field-work but not effective solution for practice using.

Related Posts:

• Seven ways to measure energy consumption
  • RAVEn + Energy Calendar = Power energy monitoring system
  • ZigBee Alliance certify AlertMe Home Automation Products
  • A simple way to control energy, water and gas consumption with GreenWave
  • Honda and Climate Energy announces freewatt Micro-CHP Home Heating and Power System
  • Cool conception of energy consumption monitor

• 6 comments:

1. Wout Mertens, 27. May 2008, 2:57

Well since the electricity company will base the amount you’ll pay on what the meter says and not what your sensor might claim, it’s nice to keep tabs on what that amount is.

Add to that that this method is non-invasive and I’m sold 🙂 I’ve wanted this for a long time now, and someone made it! I hope I can also use it for my gas and water meters…

• Michael Stepanov, 27. May 2008, 18:34

Well, your point of view looks reasonable. If you’ll happy with that kind of energy monitor – it’s good. But the electricity company meter works on the same principle as a sensor. So, their information should be the same or have a small difference. But the sensor installation is extremely simple. Even you rent the flat. But solution with camera needs more work for installation.

In any case, I’d be nice to hear opinion of owner of Modstroem’s system if so.

• Wout Mertens, 27. May 2008, 18:49

Actually I would be interested to know what the available sensors are. I never thought they’d be easy to install. Can you point me to more info?

Many thanks!

• Michael Stepanov, 28. May 2008, 9:41

Have a look that article. There are two such devices – Elecrtisave and TED (The Energy Detective). Both can be installed easily and might give you a lot of information about energy consumption in your house or flat .

• Myrtle Piserchio, 24. December 2011, 9:41

Thank you, I have just been looking for information about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have discovered till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?

• Jewel Hyden, 26. December 2011, 8:55

I have been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this information So i’m happy to convey that I’ve a very good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to don’t forget this site and give it a glance on a constant basis.

• No comments yet.