Nokia E65 as a Plutohome phone

Nokia E65

Nokia E65 is new and stylish mobile phone with built-in WiFi. But it has another cool feature – emulation of Cisco 7970. E65 can be connected to the Cisco Call Center as 7970. So, we decided to try add it to our Plutohome installation and see what’s happened. After a few hours of unsuccessful attempts we configured E65 as SIP phone and connected it to the Plutohome Asterisk. It works great! Now outside the office E65 is a mobile phone but near the Plutohome access point it allows to make cheap calls via Asterisk.

We didn’t give up with installation of emulator of Cisco 7970 in the E65. I don’t think that in might be useful (the XML Orbiter won’t provide wide functionality) but we try it again.

Set aspect ratio under Plutohome

plutohome-logo
Recently I faced with problem of scaling video picture to the 50″ plasma screen when I tried to play some DVD. I noticed that this issue was fixed in the latest version of LinuxMCE. So, I create a patch between Plutohome 2.0.0.44 and LinuxMCE 0704 for Xine_Player and built it. The difficulty was in changes of logger. It’s completely different in the LinuxMCE 0704. I removed manually all changes related with logger and left only modifications in the Xine_Player functionality.

The patched Xine_Player works fine. It should automatically change the aspect ratio to 16:9 when you stat to play DVD. But sometimes it doesn’t do it. In that case you can send the command directly:
/usr/pluto/bin/MessageSend localhost 0 22 1 916 260 "16:9"
where
– 22 – ID of Xine_Player in the your installation;
– 916 – ID of command “Change aspect ratio”;
– 16:9 – desired aspect ratio.
The patches can be found here – Xine_Player patches (1115) and the working binary here – Xine_Player with scaling option (1079). Note, before replacing Xine_Player in your system backup the original version somewhere.

Read more »

The first update of LinuxMCE 0704

LinuxMCE logo
I already wrote about close of free service which offered MythTV users electronic programming guides (EPG). Since MythTV is a part of LinuxMCE all its users need update the system to use a new service – SchedulesDirect. That update will be performed during a few coming days. LinuxMCE will notify you about it automatically. But if you’d like to participate to the project you can try to do update from the test server before it will be released to the production. Just add to the /etc/hosts file the line: updates.linuxmce.com 72.167.34.81
If you will face with some troubles during update, please, make a post to this forum thread. I’m going to add that like today in the my home installation.

Updates for LinuxMCE and Plutohome Orbiters

Yesterday I released an updates for the LinuxMCE 0704 and Plutohome 2.0.0.44 Orbiters. Following changes were done:

  • fixed a bug with running Orbiter from the application menu;
  • fixed a bug with incorrect destroying of the Orbiter;
  • modified a bit layout to fit captions for LinuxMCE version;
  • added appropriate description for LinuxMCE version;
  • fixed a few spelling mistakes in the ‘About’ section

Also, I’m planning perform following tasks next step: add all Orbiter’s dependencies to the Maemo extra repository and build a package for MS TrueType Fonts. The package for MS TrueType Fonts is needed because people usually forget to copy those fonts from the core to their Nokia. As result all dynamic captions are not visible.

The latest versions of the Orbiter for LinuxMCE and Plutohome can be downloaded as usual from the Maemo garage.

Plutohome MD: problems, problems …

Plutohome Logo
Today I setup a new media director (MD) for our smarthome project. Its specs is here:

  • Case: SilverStone LC16M
  • Motherboard: Asus M2N Deluxe
  • Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
  • Memory: 2Gb
  • Video: Asus GeForce 6200 LE

I was afraid a bit about installation because Plutohome core has Single Core processor and ordinary kernel. But the media director is based on Core Duo and it needs SMP kernel (once we had some troubles with it – MD couldn’t get appropriate kernel from the Plutohome Core). But the installation passed fine. The media director got appropriate kernel without any problems.

The video card doesn’t have HDMI output. So, I used adapter DVI-to-HDMI to connect it to the Panasonic plasma. I couldn’t set screen resolution 1080p. It seems that something wrong with it. With 1080i the picture was broken. Unfortunately, I didn’t find anything in the logs. So, I stuck to 720p.

Tomorrow I’ll continue setup of the media director. I need to connect it to the receiver Marantz SR5600 (sound and control via RS232), patch and configure remote control iMON PAD, configure MythTV. So, it’s the to do list is not so big but it’ll take some time.

Update: Finally I found that TV doesn’t support 1080p (according to owner worlds). So, this is correct that only 720p was set.

Next Page »